You are here: Indoor Swimming Pool Guide » Pool construction » Building Permit for a Swimming Pool

Building Permit for a Swimming Pool

The installation of a swimming pool requires a building permit when the pool has a surface area of 14 m2 (150 sq. ft.) or greater and a depth of 450 mm (18 inches) or greater.

A swimming pool proposed to be located in close proximity to a building may require a report from a professional engineer addressing the structural / geotechnical considerations with respect to the foundations of each structure.
Separate electrical and plumbing permits may also be required depending upon the scope of work. Sand filters require a separate plumbing review and permit whereas cartridge filters do not. A pool shed housing the pool mechanical equipment requires a separate building permit, regardless of building size.

All plans and specifications for in-ground swimming pools shall be prepared by a qualified professional engineer registered in B.C. and shall bear the signature and seal of the professional engineer.

The Building Code Letters of Assurance, Schedules B1 and B2 for Geotechnical and Structural disciplines, as may be required, are to be submitted at the time of application. The swimming pool and the area surrounding the pool must be enclosed within a non-climbable fence equipped with a self-closing, self-latching, lockable gate complying with the Surrey Private Swimming Pool Fencing By-law No. 4450. Pool covers are not an acceptable alternative to a fence that complies with the by-law.

Above grounds swimming pools
Above ground swimming pools should be engineered, factory built kits. Electrical components must bear evidence of approval by CSA, or another recognized certification agency. A building permit must be issued to confirm the siting, and to ensure that the required fencing is in place. A plumbing permit may also be required to ensure proper drainage and that the water supply is equipped with a backflow prevention device. An electrical permit may also be required for some above ground pool assemblies.

If the pool structure is more than 600 mm (24 inches) above grade then the area of the swimming pool will be included in the calculation of total lot coverage. If specifications are not available, or the pool is oversized, then a P.Eng may be required to certify the structural integrity of the pool.

Indoor swimming pools and hot tubs
An indoor swimming pool or hot tub can result in conditions where the indoor relative humidity exceeds normal values. This increased humidity must be addressed either through the installation of a mechanical ventilation system or by constructing a wall designed to work under humid conditions. In either case, a design from a registered professional is required. All doors leading into the pool area must be self-closing, self-latching and lockable doors.